Can't slapadd ldif file

So first and foremost, I"m really new to ldap. I'm trying to setup an expiramental server, learn my way around, and eventually deploy it for a small group of unix boxen for authentication, hosts, protocols, name service, and the like.

So the server is running RedHat 7.3 with the latest patches. I installed OpenLDAP via RPMs (openldap, openldap-client, openldap-server, openldap-devel if I remember correctly), and based on a few HowTo's I found, I made a sample LDIF file:

---------------------
dn: o=example.com,c=US
o: example.com
objectclass: organization
objectclass: top

dn: cn=Manager,o=example.com,c=US
cn: Manager
sn: Manager
objectclass: person
---------------------

Which I tried to add with:

slapadd -l example.ldif

to which I got:
slapadd: dn="o=example.com,c=US" (line=4): object class 'organization' requires attribute 'o'

But as you can see I have an o attribute. Also sometimes I would get a line error on blank lines... but it doesn't seem to be regularly reproducable.

Lastly, the howto I read actually said to use ldif2ldbm prior to starting the server instead of slapadd after starting server, but the RPMs don't seem to come with an ldif2ldbm, so I chose this route instead. As far as I can tell that should be OK, right?

--
Phil Dibowitz                             phil@ipom.com
Freeware and Technical Pages              Insanity Palace of Metallica

 - Benjamin Franklin, 1759