how use lastmod to track last modify time

Hi,

I need to track the lastmodify time of an entry. I tried setting "lastmod on" in the slapd.conf. but when I run ldapsearch, I don't see the last modify time attribute in the output. The application I am building java ldap client uses jldap for interface to openldap.

I tried adding lastmodifiedtime to the objectclass definition and that did not work either. is there some system attribute that i must add to the objectclass to make this work? what am i missing?

-thanks
James
p.s. I also read over the openldap2.1.8 sysadmin manual and there is no mention of lastmod

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com