Re: account balances

On Fri, 22 Nov 2002, Ryurick M. Hristev wrote:
[snip]
> Is there somewhere a schema (extension) which will allow me to
> implement this ?

I certainly hope not.  A losely-consistent distributed database is exactly
the sort of storage system you do *not* want to use for any quantity whose
new value is based on its current value, because at any given instant
there may be several different notions of what the current value is.

I suggest keeping such quantities in a separate storage facility, such as
a DBMS or an indexed file with record-level locking.  Pick some unique,
unchanging value associated with the relevant directory objects to serve
as a foreign key with which to identify data in this other facility.

MS Windows *is* user-friendly, but only for certain values of "user".