subfinal indexes

Greetings!

I'm trying to play with an indea on UID. Often I want to do searches where
the filter is something like uid=*blah. Sounded like a perfect time to add
a subfinal index. So I updated slapd.conf, stopped the directory and ran
slapindex. No errors. Started everything back up and checked again. Not much
of a speed improvement (can't even tell if there is one). But I noticed that
filters such as uid=*blah* had become VERY fast. In the old config they were
just as slow (or slower) than *blah.

Anyone ever see this before? Am I confused about what subfinal indexes should
affect?

Thanks.

--
Joshua Warchol