Re: homePostalAddress attribute

> Today at 6:46pm, Pierangelo Masarati wrote:
>
>> In this case it is NOT OpenLDAP's fault.  The definition of jpegPhoto
>> has no equality rule; it is not OpenLDAP's fault.  If you hachk it by
>> adding some binary equality rule of your choice, it will work, but the
>> YOU will be violating the jpegPhoto schema definition, and
>> your directory would be on its own.
>
> You are absolutely correct.  If the attribute was defined without an
> EQUALITY rule, then openLDAP is innocent.

quoting "inetorgperson.schema":

# jpegPhoto
# Used to store one or more images of a person using the JPEG File
# Interchange Format [JFIF].
# Note that the jpegPhoto attribute type was defined for use in the
# Internet X.500 pilots but no referencable definition for it could be
# located.
attributetype ( 0.9.2342.19200300.100.1.60
        NAME 'jpegPhoto'
        DESC 'RFC2798: a JPEG image'
        SYNTAX 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.28 )

there's no reference to the source, and that's why there's no equality
rule.

> However, when the attribute
> was defined with an EQUALITY rule but openLDAP hasn't implemented it
> yet, I do think it is openLDAP's fault in that case.

I wouldn't say "fault"; one can choose what to implement and what not,
provided it declares :)

A (too?) clever client would try to search "" and get subschemaSubentry,
then search cn=subschema for matchingRules and then infer what can be
done and what not without yielling "it doesn't work, it's a bug!"

P.

--
Pierangelo Masarati
mailto:pierangelo.masarati@sys-net.it