Re: homePostalAddress attribute

On Sat, 2002-11-16 at 03:14, Frank Swasey wrote:

> Today at 10:46pm, Peter Lavender wrote:
>
> > Anyway, while trying to capture all the info I can about an entry, I'm a
> > bit stuck, the homePostalAddress attribute says it can have upto 6 lines
> > of 30 chars each.
> >
> > Just how do i store that in the ldif?
>
> There are two ways:
>
> homePostalAddress: Line 1$Line 2$Line 3...
>
> or
>
> homePostalAddress: Line 1
> homePostalAddress: Line 2
> homePostalAddress: Line 3

My understanding would be that this actually creates 3 homPostalAddress
entries, being that homePostalAddress attribute is multivalued.  The
difference being that the $ in the first example, and how I have it in
my server, should be a "newline" delimiter... however I'm not sure if
this is a server side or client side function to do the translation.

> homePostalAddress is not "SINGLE-VALUE" so you can have as many of them
> as you like.

Granted, but I don't think this is how it should work..

> > I have the $ sign in there, however it shows up in the Evolution client
> > when I look up the entry...
>
> Then the Evolution client needs to be updated to understand that it
> should split the value returned at "$"s to be RFC compliant...

OK, so it's a client side issue.  This means that the latest version of
GQ also doesn't do the right thing.

What RFC covers this?

Pete.