problems with old version of openldap

Hello Users

i am currently trying to migrate from an ancient(?) openldap 1.2.13 (i
believe) to a 2.1.x version. My problem is, that i am not sure how i can
get the old version to flush its data into the filesystem. Stopping the
ldap did not seem to do the trick when i tried that recently and i am
now a bit concerned about the integrity of my data. i know how to use
ldbmcat to convert the data to ldif, but how do i guarantee, that all
data is actually written into the db backend? Is this an ldap issue or
rather a BDB issue?

thanks in advance,
Markus