Performance Problems

We are testing openldap 2.1.8 as a slave in our production enviroment.  We
have experienced serveral problems.  I am wondering if other people are
experiencing the same problems or if they have solved some of these
problems.

Some notes about configuration:
* have about 20,000 entries--mostly "people" entries
* using BDB backend (db4-4.0.14-14 installed)
* indexing several fields:
  index   objectClass             pres,eq
  index   uid                     pres,eq,sub
  index   uidNumber               pres,eq
  index   gidNumber               pres,eq
  index   mailacceptinggeneralid  eq
  index   apuidnumber             eq
  index   rid                     eq

1. slapadd is *very* slow compared to the using slapadd with back-ldbm on
   openldap 2.0.25.  slapadd now takes about 45 minutes, whereas it used to
   take about 4 minutes.  The only way I have found to fix this, is to
   slapadd with all the indexes turned off.  Which leads to my next
   point...
2. slapindex is *very* slow.  It takes about 45 minutes to reindex.  It
   doesn't matter if slapd is running or not.  It still take forever.
3. My "uidNumber" index is corrupt.  I rebuilt the database from an LDIF
   when I upgraded the slave to 2.1.8, so there still must be index
   corruption issues.

Anyone else experiencing this?  Anyone have ideas on what might be going
on?  I have never had OpenLDAP behave this slowly on me before.

- Christoph