RE: big directories (more than 1M entries)

This may also be an AIX-specific problem, it doesn't sound familiar to me.
You can try the db_printlog utility to see what's in the log files. If you
actually see multiple Checkpoint records in close succession, then there's a
Berkeley DB bug that should be reported to Sleepycat.

> >> I vaguely remember someone on the list mentioned a
> possibility to do
> >> this without referrals? With a glue backend or something like
> >> that?
> >
> > See the "subordinate" keyword in slapd.conf(5) and in the
> archives of
> > this mailing list.
>
> Yes, that's it, thanks.
> And I have a question about that too..
> Manpage says, someone should use the same rootdn for each of the
> subordinate backends. I remember having troubles with a setting like
> that, 'cause AFAIK a bind() operation is always done against one
> backend, isn't it? And so if I'm binding with the rootdn of the
> backends, I'll always bind to the first one, and so I'll always be
> anonymous for the other ones.

No. The point of configuring each subordinate with the same rootdn is to
allow a single bind with the rootdn to have root privilege in all of the
subordinates.

  -- Howard Chu