shell backend

I'm running on a Linux machine an Apache server and an OpenLDAP version
2.0.27 server. The OpenLDAP server is compiled using the following configure
options for shell backend:
--disable-ldbm --disable-bdb --enable-slapd --enable-shell --with-threads

The shell applications are located in /usr/local/bin and the OpenLDAP server
in /usr/local/libexec directory. I have introduced the following lines in
the slapd.conf file:

include  /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/core.schema

database shell
suffix  "o=shell"

bind "/usr/local/bin/vtbind"
search "/usr/local/bin/vtsearch"

I'm starting the OpenLDAP server using the following command:
/usr/local/libexec/slapd -d 1

The problem is that the shell backend is not working when a request comes
(the shell applications are not running) and I get the following error:
send_ldap_result: conn=0 op=0 p=2
send_ldap_response: msgid=1 tag=97 err=2

Can somebody help me?