big directories (more than 1M entries)

Hi there,

first i've a question on removing transaction logs..
FAQ-O-Matic and Sleepycat Documentation say, someone should run
db_archive to determine which Logs can be removed. But now i've added
about 250k entries into my OpenLDAP 2.1.8 with BDB backend, and i
noticed that i have to restart (or at least stop) slapd (same for
slapadd, as i notice) before db_archive shows me unused logs.
Is that intended behaviour?
I really don't like that, 'cause my whole dataset in that specific
backend has slightly more than 1Million entries, and Transaction log
would grow to about 4GB of data. That wouldn't be that bad, but I'm
working on a ramdisk, and on AIX maximum size of ramdisks seems to be
limited to 2GB.

Next i noticed that slapdindex grows quite large when indexing the whole
backend, i.e. it grows larger than 256MB, which is the maximum size for
processes on AIX 32 and 64 Bit systems if the binary has been compiled
without any -bmaxdata switch. Maybe this should be change to default to
somethin bigger in the Makefiles, or at least should be mentioned in
the FAQs? Further information about that can be obtained from [0].

Well, after that worked out (I patched slapindex using dd) I started
slapd and issued a simple search on an indexed attribute, but i had to
notice that slapd isn't using the index files. (Not even `fuser` shows
a process attached to the index files.) After ~2 minutes slapd returns
the queried entry.
I generated the DB with slapadd and had the index stuff commented out in
slapd.conf. Could that cause a problem? Running slapindex should have
created all needed indexes, shouldn't it?

Another topic with respect to problems mentioned above..
I thought of splitting that backend into several smaller parts and
having them tied back together by slapd.
I vaguely remember someone on the list mentioned a possibility to do
this without referrals? With a glue backend or something like that? The
important thing is, that entries have to be queried as
ou=mail-users,dc=company,dc=com
allthought they are internally split up into
ou=server1,ou=mail-users,dc=company,dc=com
ou=server2,ou=mail-users,dc=company,dc=com
Or maybe i can acomplish this with a suffixalias setting? I.e. setting
the same suffixalias (ou=mail-users,..) for several backends? (Just for
read, no writes on that alias, of course..)

lg,
daniel

[0]
http://nscp.upenn.edu/aix4.3html/aixprggd/genprogc/lrg_prg_support.htm

PS: Migrating from OpenLDAP 1.2.[8|11|12|13] (a little bit of all) to
OpenLDAP 2.1.8 on AIX 4.3.3 ML 10 on a quad Power4 CPU with 4 GB of
RAM. (p660) Compiled with xlc_r, threaded and BerkeleyDB 4.1.24 Libs.
--
Unix? What's that? Is that like Linux?