Re: smbldap tools

So if I', only using LDAP to authenticate for Samba, I should only have to make entries for lmpassword and ntpassword right? Which hashing algorithm is lmpassword in? md4? THanks!
-Greg

From: Adam Williams <awilliam@whitemice.org>
To: Gregory Chagnon <gregchagnon@hotmail.com>
CC: openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org
Subject: Re: smbldap tools
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 16:07:36 -0500 (EST)

>I'm using the smbldap tools to enter in users to a LDAP directory. For the
>password, it's making 3 entries, lmPassword, ntPassword, and userPassword.
>Does anyone know which hashing algorithms they each use? Also, what are
>each of those entries used for? Thanks !!!

userPassword is the "posixAccount" password,  it is crypted the way you
tell it to;  could be clear text, triple-des, crypt(), md5, sha, etc...

lmPassword is the LAN manager encrytped password.  Used by legacity PC
operating systems like Wfwg, OS/2, early-early versions of Win9x.

ntPassword is the NT-MD5 hash used for challange response by the Microsoft
domain model.

Samba manages lmPassword and ntPassword,  typically userPassword is
managed via "passwd".  Samba can call "passwd" on behalf of the user
whenever the lmPasswd/ntPassword pair change.  Thus creating the illusion
of a unified password.

Get a speedy connection with MSN Broadband.  Join now! http://resourcecenter.msn.com/access/plans/freeactivation.asp