Re: problems adding an entry

Hi,

On Monday 28 October 2002 19:39, Quinn Coldiron wrote:
> Going through the standard schema files shipped with OpenLDAP, I see
> mail entries in core.  Isn't the mail objectclass supported
> out-of-thebox in OpenLDAP?
You have to distinguish between attributes and objectclasses.
Attributes are (some kind of) variables, while objectclasses
determine which attributes are allowed and/or required.

The attribute called "objectclass" gives the names of the
objectclasses a spcific object is in.

Now, if you want to add the attribute mail to your object,
this attribute has to be allowed by one of the objectclasses
your object is in. If it doesn't you have to add the objectclass
to the object by adding another value to the objectclass attribute
of the object. If this is done, you can add the mail attribute

One possible objectclass might be inetOrgPerson which would
require to add the following two lines to the object in question:

objectclass: inetOrgPerson
mail: local.part@domain.part

Maybe you should have a closer look to the documentation
(RFCs, FAW, schema files, ..) to better understand the LDAP
data model wit attributes and objectclasses.

Yours
Peter
--
Peter Marschall     |   eMail: peter.marschall@mayn.de