Re: Manual DB sync

On 21 Oct 2002 14:38:21 +0200
Igor Stroh <stroh@scan-plus.de> wrote:

> I wonder if it's possible to sync the data in slapd's cache to the
> backend during runtime. I have dbnocache set and experienced some
> data loss recently as slapd crashed after running for some
> weeks. I'm aware that there's such a config option as "dbsync", but
> I'm afraid it will slow down the directory (I have currently about
> 70.000 entries, at least 10% of them beeing modified
> continiously). Any help is greatly appriciated.

We use dbsync (fairly standard parameters) with a large cachesize and
dbcachesize.  Reads are extremely fast but writes are relatively slow.
We currently have approximately 150k entries and this system has
worked fairly well for us.

10% modified continuously sounds like a very high amount of change.
Is this per-day?  If you really can't afford to use dbsync, try
replicating to another slapd that does synchronous writes, or timed
synchronous writes.  In the event of a crash, if changes haven't
finished being written to the replica, they will be available in the
replication log.

This also makes it a great deal easier to get clean backups.

Matthew Backes
lucca@csun.edu