RE: Documentation volunteer (was: Cluster replication: multiple masters)

On Thu, 17 Oct 2002, Pierangelo Masarati wrote:

> Please do not hijack my answer; I only explained how it is intended
> to work (as I understand it); however, Howard's note

That wasn't how I read it, unfortunately, especially since your message
post-dates his :-)

> http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-software/200206/msg00446.html
>
> IS VALID, and the concurrency problem remains.  If you can live
> with this potential database inconsistency problem (that is,
> if you plan to write to both servers and see what happens)
> it is up to you; otherwise you need to put in place some master
> selection strategy on the client side that ensures no conflicts
> happen.

So (for the benefit of the archives), it boils down to this:

    In theory, LDAP allows multi-mastering, if the conflicts can be
    resolved (e.g. timestamps, per NDS).

    In practice, OpenLDAP multi-mastering does not support conflict
    resolution.

--
Dave Horsfall  DTM  VK2KFU  daveh@ci.com.au  Ph: +61 2 9906-4333