looking for a stable combination

Hello,

We have a moderately large  user objects in an ldap directory which
contains our user list, and is used for all of our authentication (mail
server, radius, ftp), as well as nss_ldap.  We have recently been running
into problems (read nightmares) with the various slapd servers and their
underlying database.

I'm looking for two things:

1) A good way of pulling stats in ldap usage
(queries/additions/modifications per second, number of simultaneous
connections, query execution time, etc...)

2) (MOST IMPORTANT)  The best, most stable version of openldap
(slapd/slurpd) and a corresponding backend database (berkeley db/gdbm)
that works under heavy load.

I've ran multiple versions of openldap with stock installs of redhat 7.2
and 7.3.  I have run into some problems with openldap 2.1.5 and db4.1.24
(patched and unpatched berkeleydb).  I have a problem with openldap2.0.25
and gdbm-1.8.0 compiled from source.

I'm looking for reports of people running mission critical ldap-services
(for example, running an address book with 100k entries that is scarcely
noticed when it goes down is not exactly what I'm looking for) with a
specific ldap/database/operating system configuration.

Thanks in advance for any information you can give.

John