Re: your mail

>We're trying to minimize our dependancy on a fully populated /etc/host file.
>We have peer-to-peer, local group-grope, and hierarchy references.
>Each computer uses IP over low bandwidth radio, where UDP is favored over TCP
>(analogous to a radio broadcast versus establishing sucessive 1-1 connections.)
>Any chance someone has looked at using <nsswitch.conf> host: file ldap
>(RedHat 7.2) such that all communications are connectionless UDP?

I think LDAP is UDP.

>If not, we'd love to hack at it ourselves.  Guidelines?  Suggestions?

Why not create multiple replicants?  Then you only need to transmit rare
changes and "everyone" can keep a copy locally.  Certainly helps sites
connected via VPNs.

This message undoubtedly processed by the purely benevolent "US
Department of Homeland Security",  but don't worry... they're
only goal is to protect life, liberty and the pursuit of property.