subordinate feature with OpenLDAP 2.1.5

Hello,

I have some problem with the subordinate feature from backglue. Most probably
I have misunderstood something about the feature, but the documentation is
somewhat sparse in this field.

I am trying to glue two backends together (zab is a custom backend). The
appropriate part from slapd.conf loosk as follows:

database        zab
suffix          "ou=zab,ou=services,dc=xyz,dc=com"
subordinate

database        ldbm
suffix          "dc=xyz,dc=com"
directory       /var/lib/ldap
index           cn,ou,member,objectclass eq

database	monitor

Now, actually I have two problems:
1. The monitor backend won't start (it does work fine, if I remove the
subordinate line).

2. If I remove the monitor backend, the slapd will start. A search request
with a search base of ou=services,dc=xyz,dc=com does work and will return
results from both the ldbm and the zab backend. A search request from
ou=zab,ou=services,dc=xyz,dc=com does also work, but a search request from
uid=abc,ou=zab,ou=services,dc=xyz,dc=com doesn't (it returns unwilling to
perform which seems to come from the backglue code). I have enabled trace
debugging and the zab backend functions don't even get called! What is going
wrong. Is this an issue of my custom backend or is something else wrong.

Yours,
Stephan Siano

--
Stephan Siano                           Mail:  Stephan.Siano@suse.de
SuSE Linux AG                           Phone: 06196 50951 31