Re: Performance with OpenLDAP 2.0.26 and Samba

>>>and ~160 User log in, the server's CPU gets 100% loaded for periods of
>>>several seconds.
>>>I noticed that slapd gets called for every "net use L:
>>Do you have nscd running?  You should.
>I didn't. Now I do.
>That seems to help. After just 15 Minutes of the beginning of a new starting
>lesson, the nscd --statistic shows me 968 positiv cache hits on passwd
>>>My indices:
>>>index   sn,uid,mail             eq,sub
>>>index   objectClass             pres,eq
>>>index   uidNumber,gidNumber,rid eq
>>Index memberuid and cn (assuming your group names are stored as "cn" of
>>the posixgroup object and your members are in memberuid)
>I did that as well, but I am not shure if it helps. I have the feeling that
>it doesn't.

I don't know if Samba queries that directly, it probably goes through
NSS, in which case nscd will help with group membership lookups.

>>>The Server has enough RAM (1GB) but CPU is short (1GHz PIII).
>>Should be plenty.  My DSA/PDC is a Ppro200 w/384Mb and it handles ~150
>>users without breaking stride.
>My user-base is a bit larger (4500 and such quite small AFAIK). Is it just
>that up 100 user log in simultaneously.

Yep, my user base is smaller, about 200.  But at 8:00am every week day
150 log in at the same time.

>I still have periods of up to ten seconds (formerly 40) that my server is
>100%busy. MS reports a slow server and discontinues to connect some drives.
>Especially the "home" drive is concerned. I can't see any reason.
>First I let nscd do some work and do some more analyzing, maybe the problem
>is solved by now.

With a user base that large you may want to increase the number of nscd
threads and the cache sized, particularly group if you use groups to do
access control to shares.

This message undoubtedly processed by the purely benevolent "US
Department of Homeland Security",  but don't worry... they're
only goal is to protect life, liberty and the pursuit of property.