Problem with high-bit characters

I am trying to migrate from Netscape Directory Server 4.x to OpenLDAP 2.0.25. I'm having a hard time figuring out how to get OpenLDAP to accept values which might contain high-bit characters (such as é). For those reading this in something that renders only low-bit ASCII, what I have there is an "e" with an accent mark above it. This is commonly used in non-English languages such as French - similar to ó ("o" with accent mark) used in for instance Spanish.

In any case, I have such characters in an attribute mailAutoReplyText (which as the name implies contains a string used when email auto-replies are in use). In the LDIF exported by Netscape, this string is base64-encoded, for instance:

mailautoreplytext:: VGhpcyBpcyBhIHTpc3Q=

Which decoded reads "This is a tést".

This value will not import using a syntax of directoryString, IA5String or Printable String. To get it to import I have to resort to using Octet String (arbitrary octets). Is that appropriate? This is just a text string after all - I wouldn't have thought the arbitrary octet string type is what would be proper in this case.

I'll find similar characters in cn, givenname, sn, at some point I'm sure, when I run into users with names that are Spanish, French, etc...

Any guidance is appreciated.

 -dan

--
WARNING: Not enough space on dump device.  Incomplete dump taken.
			-Actual error seen on a Sun Solaris system