Re: Request For Comments: Apple Open Directory and Open Ldap

I see great potential for OS X - if Apple don't kill it. Provided you're using
RFC 2307 schema, I can verify OpenLDAP/Linux works as a server:

1) You *must* be using a vanilla OS X >= 10.2 (do *NOT* try to enable NIS, or
follow any HOWTOs for older OS vers)
2) Go to "/Applications/Utilities/Directory Access"
3) Tick the LDAPv3 box
4) Select "Configure" or "Add" - put in the FQDN and Base DN of your RFC 2307
(i.e. Linux/Solaris compatible schema) e.g:

dn: ou=People, dc=domain, dc=com
objectClass: top
objectClass: organizationalUnit
ou: People

dn: uid=user, ou=People, dc=domain, dc=com
objectClass: top
objectClass: posixAccount
uid: user
cn: user
uidNumber: 1001
homeDirectory: /whatever...

and so on - Honestly, 10.2 and 10.2.1 "just work" for RFC 2307 (Linux/Solaris)
Schema - just don't try to fiddle too hard.

--
Regards,
Phil

| Phil Mayers                              |
| Network & Infrastructure Group           |
| Information & Communication Technologies |
| Imperial College                         |