[Date Prev][Date Next]
client dns lookups, can they be disabled?
- To: openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org
- Subject: client dns lookups, can they be disabled?
- From: Geoff Swan <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 22:49:55 +1000
- User-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:0.9.4) Gecko/20011128 Netscape6/6.2.1
I have a system with slapd on a server with a known IP address. OpenLDAP
has been build with the rdns lookups disabled.
When I use ldapsearch (or any client which uses the openLDAP client
libraries) to perform a search on the database at this server (by
specifying the IP address of the server), the client appears to attempt
to perform a DNS lookup before the bind operation (an ethereal trace
Is there any way to prevent this? It slows down the search considerably.
The same test has been performed with clients that do not use the
openLDAP client library and the DNS lookups do not occur.
Initially when looking through the openLDAP library source, I suspected
something with getaddrinfo() called in ldap_connect_to_host() in the
os-ip.c module, however the AI_CANONNAME flag in the hints structure
appears to be initialized not to get the host name.