RE: Trying to get RH 7.3 to play nicely with OpenLDAP

kbroderick@smcvt.edu

> I'm attempting to get a small network of RedHat boxen (1 server, 13
> workstations) setup
> for LDAP authentication.  At the moment, LDAP starts up without
> complaining,
> and I've used
> the migrate_all_offline.sh script with apparent success.  However, I can't
> find anything
> with ldapsearch -x, nor can I find anything trying to browse with gq.  I've
> read
> most of the docs I could find, and my most recent setup is a result of
> trying to follow
> the directions in
> http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=20010811.18
> 1101.1472
> 713773.6227%40yahoo.com
>  (without success).
>
> Is there a step-by-step configuration checklist out there that would allow
> me to wipe
> what I have and start over?

Have you read the Quick Start Guide that is part of the OpenLDAP
Administrator's Guide? http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin/quickstart.html

As interesting as the above-referenced article was, I must point out that
OpenLDAP does *not* provide any such thing as migrate_all_offline.sh. RedHat
is packaging something with their OpenLDAP RPMs, which I'm sure they're free
to do, but those tools were not written by the OpenLDAP team and we don't
have any knowledge or control over those tools.

> I'm thoroughly bewildered at this point
> (because most of the
> docs I've read get to a point where I'm following instructions and suddenly
> what I'm
> trying to do isn't working),

Most of the docs floating around the web are antiques, talking about software
revisions that were obsoleted long ago. (Also, I personally am very biased
against any article that reads "I've found a number of bugs in this code"
from someone who has never submitted a bug report to our bug tracking
database. OpenLDAP is community-supported code. If you find a bug, you have
an obligation as a user of this free software to report it. We can't help you
if you don't help us.)

 without much in the way of helpful error
> messages.  I'm not
> a Linux newbie, and I'm comfortable with Unixisms in general, but I've
> gotten thoroughly
> confused at this point.  I have certificates turned off, I think (that was
> causing some
> errors, I think, but so is plaintext--I keep getting "ldap_search_s No such
> object" in
> my logs for a user that I know exists in the passwd file and should
> [presumably] exist
> in the directory.  Also, doing "ldapsearch -x" without any further
> parameters seems to be
> trying a wildcard search, yet it returns 0 records.
>
> Any and all suggestions, including good web pointers, appreciated;
> solutions
> greatly
> appreciated.

http://www.openldap.org  http://www.openldap.org/doc/