Berkeley DB 4.0.14 and OpenLDAP 2.1.x

>From: Tony Earnshaw <tonni@billy.demon.nl>
>Date: 13 Jul 2002 18:46:40 +0200

>Maybe this could help someone :-)

>1: by pointing out that /usr/include/db.h (for me a symlink
>/usr/include/db3/db.h) was the wrong one. By putting that symlink to
>/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.0/include/db.h, (obviously after installing
>Sleebycat v4) a number of problems were solved: i.e. "incompatible
>Berkeley version".

Hopefully this doesn't confuse anyone even further, but here's how my build
system is set up - I let BDB install itself into its default location of
/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.X.Y. I create an additional symlink "BDB" that points
to the release I'm testing at the moment. Then I create these symlinks by
hand:
	/usr/local/include/db.h -> ../BDB/include/db.h
	/usr/local/lib/libdb.so -> ../BDB/lib/libdb.so
	/usr/local/bin/db_archive -> ../BDB/bin/db_archive (etc.)

Then  /usr/local/BDB -> BerkeleyDB.4.0

I have BerkeleyDB.3.3, BerkeleyDB.4.0, and BerkeleyDB.[whatever] installed,
and switch among them just by recreating the "/usr/local/BDB" symlink. It
would be seriously disruptive to switch back and forth on a production
system, but this works for my build environment and allows me to quickly test
slapd against multiple BDB versions.

  -- Howard Chu