Searching for Group memberships of users

Hello All,

I have a tricky problem. Given a user name, I need to search Openldap and
find out that user's group membership. The intention is to use external ACLs
in Squid 2.5 pre. Once the user logs on, I need to use his login name and
check out the LDAP group he belongs to.

On going through the LDAP directory, I find that the user does not have a
group attribute, rather groups have a member attribute. If  I filter the
search on objectclass=groupofnames, how to extract the user name from the
member attribute and match it?

Will someone please help me construct the appropriate search filter ?

Regards,
Michael Fuller