Re: Noob configuration issues

On Wed, 4 Sep 2002, Keith Mastin wrote:

> I'm trying to set up openldap, following the administrators guide and
> quickstart howto. I'm running NetBSD-1.5.2 and using the pkgsrc install.
>
> My slapd.conf file looks like this:
>
> database        ldbm
> suffix          "dc=mcleodlake,dc=com"
> rootdn          "cn=kmastin,dc=mcleodlake,dc=com"
> rootpw          hash:/etc/passwd
> directory       /var/openldap/ldap-data
> index   objectClass     eq
>
> I have a directory with permissions set to 0700: /var/openldap/ldap-data
>
> After starting slapd:
> bash-2.05# /usr/local/libexec/slapd
> ... or even
> bash-2.05# su root -c /usr/local/libexec/slapd
> (doesn't matter which one I do, the results are the same)
>
> In testing the config I get this:
>
> bash-2.05# ldapsearch -x -b '' -s base '(objectclass=*)' namingContexts
> ldap_bind: Can't contact LDAP server
>
> ps shows no slapd server running. There was no error when starting the
> server, which it does for every other server daemon I've configured on
> this system (apache, qmail, etc.)
>
> I searched the archives, but the closest match I found was where the admin
> alrady had openldap running and changed IP addresses or some other config,
> but none for the first install.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> TIA

Look, the config you sended we can find in slapd.conf.
My install is not the same as yours, but:
I have a file /etc/openldap/ldap.conf and the contents are:
BASE=myfirm,c=BR
HOST=my.machine.my.domain
otherstuff

It could be localhost. Pay att. to the certs pointing to the same server.

A have ANOTHER file: /etc/ldap.conf

First line:
HOST my.machine.mydomain
Second:
BASE the same as above
otherstuff...

Do you have these files? What you have inside it?

Sds,

- ---

Fui!

===========  Renato Q. Salles UIN 143517540  ===========