ldapadd won't add entry via SASL/DIGEST-MD5

I was recently able to build cyrus-sasl-2.1.7
(--with-ldap and --with-mysql) and openldap-2.1.4
(--with-cyrus-sasl) on a Linux box.

I am now at the point where I am trying to use ldapadd
to add ldap entries via SASL/DIGEST-MD5 like so:

# ldapadd -f test.ldif -D "cn=root,dc=test,dc=org"
SASL/DIGEST-MD5 authentication started
Please enter your password:
ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: Internal (implementation
specific) error (80)
	additional info: SASL(-13): user not found: no secret
in database

When using SASL/DIGEST-MD5 authentication what are the
typical steps necessary to get ldapadd to work?  I've
been monitoring the system logs and no errors are
reported.  Does the rootdn need to be added to the
sasldb2 (i.e., saslpasswd2 -c root -u test.org)?

It is apparent that this is a user/passwd error, but
where do I initially add the SASL/DIGEST-MD5 rootdn
passwd and what would the ldapadd syntax be after
having created the rootdn account?

Respectfully,

Gary