sasl / slapd problem

Hi,

I just subscribed to this list cause I have a very annoying problem
which I couldn't solve in the last two days on my own ... :-)

Well, just a short description: If I try to start slapd the following
thing happens:

  # ./slapd -d 255
  @(#) $OpenLDAP: slapd 2.0.25-Release  ....

  daemon_init: <null>
  daemon_init: listen on ldap:///
  daemon_init: 1 listeners to open...
  ldap_url_parse_ext(ldap:///)
  daemon: initialized ldap:///
  daemon_init: 1 listeners opened
  slapd init: initiated server.
  sasl_server_init failed
  slapd shutdown: freeing system resources. slapd stopped.
  connections_destroy: nothing to destroy.

Now in the whole net (at least in the places I searched) there was
nothing to be found why sasl should ever fail. (alas it does anyway ...)

up to now I tried the following:

- freshly installed sasl 1.5.27
- freshly installed openldap 2.0.25 (both successfully)
- started saslauthd without slapd (working)
- started slapd afterwards (same result -> sasl fails)
- gnawed some nails off ...

I heard of, but found none:
-  slapd.conf files in /usr/lib/sasl, which is annoying, cause I cannot
   create one without having any clue how this file should look ... :-)

So can please anyone give me some hints?

Thanks in advance and greetings,

		axel.