why doesn't this filter work

Hi,

I have observed what seems to be a bug in the search filters of
OpenLDAP 2.0.23.

I used the following to try to obtain a listing of all users whose
home directory ends in a trailing slash:

$ ldapsearch -LLLxh foo -b ou=people,dc=google,dc=com \
  '(homedirectory=*/)' 'homedirectory'

It doesn't work, even though there should be plenty of
matches. Further tests, such as expansion of the search to include all
directories that have a slash anywhere in the path
[(homedirectory=*/*)] suggest that handling of the slash in general is
buggy, as this should return results for all users.

Replacing the slash with pretty much anything else yields the expected
results. According to RFC 2254, the slash isn't a character that needs
to be escaped, but I tried it anyway to no effect.

Is this a bug? Is there a work-around?

Ian
--
Ian Macdonald               | Things are more like they are today than
System Administrator        | they ever were before.   -- Dwight