RE: Corrupt index files

Good day,

> > Do you get these problems if you
> > use the ldbm
> > backend in 2.0.25 with BDB?
> Yes.  I got exactly the same results with 2.0.21, 2.0.23 and
> 2.0.25 (yes, I
> have been trying very, very hard to get something working).

I've made an interesting discovery this afternoon.  I installed the Red Hat
2.0.23 RPM back on the test server, but on a hunch, I tried to load the
information back with slapadd rather than my backup of the .gdbm database

Lo and behold, using gdbm I STILL have this problem (although the entries
that it duplicates are different than the ones with bdb) !  I've never had
to import data in with slapadd before, so, I probably just never noticed
this.  I tried 2.0.25 with gdbm just for kicks; same result.

So, it looks like it's not the backend, but OpenLDAP itself, that is causing
these import problems.  It's probably a separate problem from my original
index problem.

I guess should consider following the CVS tree in order to get a working set
of tools.  A few past messages on the mailing list suggest that there are
some problematic differences in the API, though.  Should I be able to
upgrade to 2.1.X if the rest of my LDAP tools were compiled with 2.0.X ?

Is it possible that it's only slapadd that has this problem?  Furthermore,
if I want to attempt to work around this problem by recreating all of my
index files after a slapadd, which files do I need to keep intact?  I note
that slapindex doesn't seem to alter index files if they already exist.
Thanks again to everyone for their past and future help,

Darren Gamble
Planner, Regional Services
Shaw Cablesystems GP
630 - 3rd Avenue SW