From: Pierangelo Masarati [mailto:masarati@aero.polimi.it]
Sent: 13 August 2002 13:04
To: Jose Correia (J)
Cc: openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org
Subject: Re: test ldap startup failure

Jose Correia (J) writes:

> Hi All
>
> As mentioned before I'm trying to completely install version 2.1.6.
> I'm at the stage where I run "make test". Its failing though with
this
> message:
>
> cd tests; make test
> make[1]: Entering directory `/opt/openldap-2.1.3/tests'
> ln: ./data: cannot overwrite directory
> make[1]: [test-bdb] Error 1 (ignored)
> ln: ./schema: File exists
> make[1]: [test-bdb] Error 1 (ignored)
> ln: ucdata/liblunicode: File exists
> make[1]: [test-bdb] Error 1 (ignored)
> Initiating LDAP tests for BDB...
> running defines.sh
> Datadir is ./data
> Cleaning up in ./test-db...
> Starting slapd on TCP/IP port 9012...
> Using ldapsearch to retrieve the root DSE...
> Waiting 5 seconds for slapd to start...
> Waiting 5 seconds for slapd to start...
> Waiting 5 seconds for slapd to start...
> Waiting 5 seconds for slapd to start...
> Waiting 5 seconds for slapd to start...
> Waiting 5 seconds for slapd to start...
> kill: (6713) - No such pid
> ldap_bind: Can't contact LDAP server (81)
> make[1]: *** [test-bdb] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/opt/openldap-2.1.3/tests'
> make: *** [test] Error 2
>

> At first I thought it was the port no that was clashing but it
isn't.
> As you can see above I even changed the port no in
> ../tests/scripts/defines.sh but to no avail.
>
> I then thought it could a permissions thing because of the 3rd line:
> "ln: ./data: cannot overwrite directory" but Iam root and I made
sure
> all the openldap directories and files have groupname and username
> 'root'.

this error is *** ignored *** (as clearly stated in the output).
You likely don't have some dynamically linked libraries in the
load path; try to manually invoke the binary (e.g.
"./servers/slapd/slapd" ); or, if you have binutils, try
"ldd ./servers/slapd/slapd" to see what library cannot be found,
update your /etc/ld.so.conf  and run /sbin/ldconfig.

Pierangelo

Dr. Pierangelo Masarati               | voice: +39 02 2399 8309
Politecnico di Milano                 |
mailto:pierangelo.masarati@polimi.it
via La Masa 34, 20156 Milano, Italy   |
http://www.aero.polimi.it/~masarati