Re: Solaris instability: maybe the monitor backend?

Alan Sparks writes:

More about my instability problems with OpenLDAP 2.1.x and Solaris7.

I've since patched the servers with Sun's latest recommended patch set. The servers have run without fail since Tuesday. My test scripts which
update a value and verify the replication have run since then without
fail...

Til today.
The coincidence: 'til today, I have not run my MRTG probing script.  This
script fetches a few values from the monitor backend (current/start time,
connections, total ops) to feed into MRTG.  But, within a few hours of
starting that again (running every 10 minutes), the replication failed.

Could you detail what entries you fetch from the monitor backend
(details are welcome: order of search and so). I never had any
problems on Linux, but I'm sure locking might be skrewed.

I've shut that back down, to see if the problem persists. Things are back to normal for the moment. While this is coincidental, and I have not a bit of proof, I wonder if there's some possible odd locking problem or something in the monitor backend that might be hanging the server.

Pierangelo.

Dr. Pierangelo Masarati | voice: +39 02 2399 8309
Dip. Ing. Aerospaziale | fax: +39 02 2399 8334
Politecnico di Milano | mailto:pierangelo.masarati@polimi.it
via La Masa 34, 20156 Milano, Italy | http://www.aero.polimi.it/~masarati