Asyncronous notification of a LDAP search result

Is there any way to get the OpenLDAP libraries to asynchrosly notify my
application that a (any) search result has returned to be processed?
Either with a callback or even by simply writing to a pipe that I could
put in a poll() or select() set?

I'm working on an Async I/O driven library and making polling calls to
ldap_result in between poll() calls with short timeouts is sub-optimal.

Does this type of functionality exist in *any* LDAP client library?

TIA - Rand