Copying master slapd database to slave

I was just wondering how I should get the contents of a master slapd server to a new slave. The two servers are _not_ identically configured. The master slapd server serves a number of databases and the slave only handles one. I've tried to simply copy all the appropriate database files from one server to the other and this does not seem to work. The files transfer and the slave starts, but none of the transfered data is visible.

Can I export all the data in the master slapd server to an ldif file and import it in the other database? Or is there a better way? I'm going to have to do this literally hundreds of times, so I'm hoping to find the most efficient and reliable way to do this.

I'm running OpenLDAP 2.0.21 under RedHat 7.2 on the master slapd server and OpenLDAP 2.0.23 on a Sun Cobalt Qube 3 on the slave slapd servers.

Geoffrey L. Wright, Senior Partner
Alaska Web Art
P.O. Box 240133 Anchorage, AK 99524
Office - 907.868.8092 Fax - 907.563.2122
http://www.akwebart.com