Re: quick question

On Wed, 24 Jul 2002, Ian Ballantyne wrote:

> File sizes on 32 bit linux are 2Gb.  Although I have heard there are ways
> around this, I don't know what they are, or if they even are real.  64 bit
> Linux does not have this limit.

Linux 2.4.17 (an newer at least, likely older 2.4 kernels) and glibc 2.2.4
(again at least likely any 2.2, these are what I ran this test on to confirm)
do support large files (2TB) under ext3 and other filesystems.

I think this is a limitation of gdbm..  That's what I need confirmation of.

bash# dd if=/dev/zero of=testfile bs=1024k count=2064
2064+0 records in
2064+0 records out
bash# ls -l testfile
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root     2164260864 Jul 24 16:07 testfile
bash# uname -a
Linux hostname 2.4.17 #1 SMP Sun Dec 23 22:51:29 MST 2001 i686 unknown
bash# rpm -q glibc
glibc-2.2.4-24
bash# dd if=/dev/zero of=testfile seek=2064 bs=1024k count=512
512+0 records in
512+0 records out
bash# ls -l testfile
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root     2701131776 Jul 24 16:09 testfile

Regards,
James Bourne

--
James Bourne, Supervisor Data Centre Operations
Mount Royal College, Calgary, AB, CA

addressed, and may contain confidential, personal, and or privileged
information. Please contact the sender immediately if you are not the
intended recipient of this communication, and do not copy, distribute, or
take action relying on it. Any communication received in error, or

"There are only 10 types of people in this world: those who
understand binary and those who don't."