Multiple replications to same host problems

We are running OpenLDAP v2.0.23 under FreeBSD 4.5-stable,
the FreeBSD port.  We have several directories, all of which we
wish to replicate to the same host:

database		ldbm
suffix			dc=a,dc=mycorg,dc=com
replogfile  /usr/local/etc/openldap/replog/log
replica host=hosttwo.myorg.com:389
    binddn="cn=xxxx,dc=a,dc=cordoors,dc=com"
    bindmethod=simple credentials=yyyyy
    tls=yes

database		ldbm
suffix			dc=b,dc=mycorg,dc=com
replogfile  /usr/local/etc/openldap/replog/log
replica host=hosttwo.myorg.com:389
    binddn="cn=xxxx,dc=b,dc=cordoors,dc=com"
    bindmethod=simple credentials=yyyyy
    tls=yes

database		ldbm
suffix			dc=c,dc=mycorg,dc=com
replogfile  /usr/local/etc/openldap/replog/log
replica host=hosttwo.myorg.com:389
    binddn="cn=xxxx,dc=c,dc=cordoors,dc=com"
    bindmethod=simple credentials=yyyyy
    tls=yes

We can successfully replicate any one individual
directory, or even two if hosttwo is specified
as "hosttwo" not "hosttwo:389".  But as soon
as we add a third, replication fails for both of
the identical hostname:port combinations.
Slapd at the slave host never sees a request;
slurpd fails at once with the error "Referral".

I have tried specifying different ports for
each.   This queues beautifully, but fails
on "Cannot contact LDAP Server", even when
the slave slapd is listening on the specified ports.
(At least, I *think* it was listening.  I tried
several URI combinations -- another example or
two in the slapd man page would be nice.)

I have tried starting a slurpd for each directory,
processing different log files into different
temporary directories (-r /usr/local/etc/openldap/replog/log.a
-t /var/db/openldap-slurp/a), and the damn thing
still fails with the "Referral" error.

I stress again that any single directory will replicate
successfully under any of these configurations.

I have tried putting all the replication under
the dc=myorg,dc=com directory (which, yes, is at
the end of slapd.conf and works beautifully) in
the hope that the referrals might somehow manage
the whole thing, but alas, this hope was unfounded :-(

We have 6 directories -- I am at my wits' end.
I am still puzzling out how the hell to get 2.1
up and running properly under FreeBSD, so swapping
to the newer version is not yet an option.  (Does
*anyone* have a real manual page for ldap_search_ext
which explains the controls to use for V3?)

How can I trick slurpd into replicating multiple
directories to the same host?

--Chris Robertson
Corinthian Engineering
Sydney Australia