Re: Are my ldapadd and ldapsearch accessing the DB ?

what is your slapd.config? especially the section 'referral'?
have you added also the complete suffix?

Kind regards,

Christian Pohl
Secaron AG

"dyood ." <dyood@hotmail.com>
Sent by: owner-openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org
12.07.2002 00:52

        To:     OpenLDAP-software@OpenLDAP.org
        Subject:        Are my ldapadd and ldapsearch accessing the DB ?

Hi Folks,

this is one more LDAP newbie trying to get a directory service working. I
started with installing a Berkeley Sleepycat (ldbm) database and later
installed the latest version of the openldap server.

As far as I can gather, I have got the ldap server running on our research

machine listening to port 3089 (with command "./slapd "ldap://:3089";)

I then continued with the "Add initial entries to your directory" step in
the openldap quickstart guide. The ldif file is as follow:
dn: o=dsm.ics.uci.edu,c=US
objectclass: organization
o: dsm.ics.uci.edu
dc: dsm.ics.uci.edu

dn: cn=Manager,o=dsm.ics.uci.edu,c=US
objectclass: organizationalRole
cn: Manager

Issued the command:
./ldapadd -h agastya.ics.uci.edu -p 3089 -x -D
"cn=Manager,o=dsm.ics.uci.edu,c=US" -W -f composeldif.ldif

and got the results:
Enter LDAP Password:
adding new entry "o=dsm.ics.uci.edu,c=US"
ldap_add: Referral

ldif_record() = 10

At this moment, I'm not sure from the message if the add has gone
right. Nor do I understand what "ldap_add: Referral" means. So, I issued a

ldapsearch command:
./ldapsearch -h agastya.ics.uci.edu -p 3089 -x -b 'o=dsm.ics.uci.edu,c=US'

And got to see the output:
version: 2

# filter: (objectclass=*)
# requesting: ALL

# search result
search: 2
result: 10 Referral
ref: ldap://oops.i.did.it.again

# numResponses: 1

My Question:
I don't see the base dn in the output. DOes that mean my install has a
problem ?

Also, I'm looking to run a single ldap server. I need no referral
setup. The ref url specified is used more as a debugging message when the
command doesn't work. What does "result: 10 Referral" mean ?!

I looked for a similar issue on the archives but found a mail that was
unanswered. Hence, this now !

thanks in advance,