RE: How can I get OpenLDAP to hash passwords as crypt?

That is what the modifyPassword ExOp is for. Having side-effects on the
standard Modify op goes against the protocol definition, and really goes
against the spirit of the protocol as well. Anyway, if you use the
modifyPassword
operation then your clients can remain crypt-independent.

  -- Howard Chu