Re: [fwd: My id2entry.gdbm is growing at a rate of 10 meg per day ]

> From:  Andrew Findlay <andrew.findlay@skills-1st.co.uk>
> Date:  Wed, 10 Jul 2002 10:48:17 +0100
>
> On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 03:42:03PM -0500, Chris Garrigues wrote:
> >
> > I'm running openldap 2.0.23 on linux and have discovered that my id2entry
> .gdbm
> > is growing at a tremendous rate.
>
> Remember that gdbm files can have holes in them, so the *length* of
> the file may not be equal to its *size*. To find out how much disk
> space is actually used, try 'ls -ls' and look at the first column.
>
> Of course, if you copy a file with holes using non-hole-aware programs
> like 'cp' the holes will get filled with zeros and the file will
> indeed be very big. Some backup software can cope with this and some
> is less clever. For example, Gnu tar has options to handle holey files
> and the BSD-derived 'dump' has special knowledge of the filesystem so
> it can cope too.

hmmm, thanks.  looking at the current version of the file, I'm seeing this:

144424 -rw-------    1 ldap     ldap     147737291 Jul 10 09:03 id2entry.gdbm

but before I panic any more, I'd better take a look at any and all tools that
push things around on my system and make sure I'm not "filling in the holes"
without realizing it.

Chris

--
Chris Garrigues                 http://www.DeepEddy.Com/~cwg/
virCIO                          http://www.virCIO.Com

  World War III:  The Wrong-Doers Vs. the Evil-Doers.