Schema Design - Local Auth and Address Book Contacts

I have a Linux server that is using LDAP authentication for local ssh and
mail accounts - the padl.com version. I have migrated the /etc/passwd
/etc/shadow and /etc/group files and this works v. nicely.

In the past, I have used LDAP to store email contacts data for *both*
internal and external people, which was used by M$ mail clients as a global
address book. In fact, I have written a web interface (apache and php) to
control these email contacts. I had to extend the schema for this to bring
in the full range of recognized variables that M$ Outlook * can use (e.g.
officeFAX, URL, etc...).

NOW - I want to bring these two projects together and have a fully LDAP
controlled server. But I am having some trouble in deciding on a schema. I
can't decide whether to store all people (internal accounts and external
contacts) under the "people" organizationalUnit;
or,
should I have a completely separate branch for external contacts;
or,
should I leave the "people" organizationalUnit for purely authentication and
put both internal and external contacts under a different branch.

I would appreciate any comments whatsoever.

Chris Andrew
Oxspring Network Solutions Limited
Tel: +44 (0)1226 761188
Fax: +44 (0)1226 761199