RE: status of multi-master replication?

> > Upon further archive searching, I found mentions of
> multimaster as far
> > back as 1999.  Why is it that a change which only effects 6
> or 7 source
> > files with minimal changes takes roughly 3 years to become "not
> > experimental?"  The concept itself even seems fairly
> simple, so why is
> > this so difficult?
[snip]
> resolution: If two (or more) changes are made to the same
> object on different
> masters, there are several conflict scenarios that cannot be
> automatically
> resolved, especially if the object contains attributes that
> don't specify an
> Equality matching rule. These conflicts are impossible to
> resolve, some are
[snip]

You can try using a mechanism like heartbeat, using the multimaster
capabality, coupled with a heartbeat mechanism and IP takeover will
work, solve the conflict resolution, and rid you of the pain of
attempting to promote the slave to the master (and the ensuing 'what
hasn't been replicated to me' debate).

I'm considering use of a similar approach myself.

Nir.