Re: newbie Question

Gordon Stewart wrote:

I am new to LDAP and for the past few day I have been looking around on the
web for information about LDAP as it was recommended as a replacement for
NIS. The reason why I would like to use this is that I have a database of
1500 users and I would like to give them each an email account.  My
intention is to create a perl scripts to create the LDIF file.  I would like
to keep my /etc/passwd file that has 5 users separate from the LDIF file.

My question is can I use LDAP method and the /etc/passwd file separate from
each other and authenticate from both at the same time. Can anyone
recommend websites that would explain this type of configuation?

Depends on the MTA you use. I set up qmail-ldap which works fine. There the required information for qmail are taken directly from LDAP (no Perl and LDIF). Additional users in /etc/passwd shouldn't be a problem with this setup. Information about this can be found under http://www.nrg4u.com/ (I also have a detailed HOW-TO about this, but at the moment it is only in german).

Roland