How to use special characters with PHP script?

Hi again!

I feel like the worse LDAP beginner in the world, I hope none of you will be
too hard on me.

I'm trying to use a simple PHP script to add LDAP entries and what was my
surprise when I realized I couldn't use special characters (I tried to use a
Spanish accent for a name). When I use these characters I get an error
message saying that the opration couldn't be completed.

My question is quite obvious... is there a way to use such characters? Thank
you for your help.

JON