RE: OpenLDAP 2.1 Released

That is an ugly, insecure, slow-performing hack. If you have Kerberos V then
you should be using SASL/GSSAPI to login to LDAP, and completely ignoring
the userPassword attribute.

> Which means that i have to add/delete a user in
> TWO places (really three, I'm using OpenAFS as well).

> The 'only' reason when I started with LDAP a couple of years ago, was
> so that I could have all in one place. This was with OpenLDAP 1.x (using
> 'userPassword={CRYPT}PASSWORD'. By needing/wanting secure replication,
> I started to use Kerberos and keytabs.

You can have everything in one place. Use the Heimdal KDC with its LDAP
database backend. It works pretty well. It's been at least 5 years since
I've worked with AFS but I know you can shoehorn in a KDC of your choosing
into there as well. Then all of your LDAP, Kerberos, and AFS users will
reside in only one place.

  -- Howard Chu