Phantom files?

here is my story

i install openldap 2.0.23-4 on RH7.3 from rpm.  i use example config files to
test everything works fine.  i kill slapd. I then edit the files to reflect
my own needs.  i rm all the files in /var/lib/ldap which is where the .gdbm
files are stored.  i restart slapd. i try to add my new files and get an
operations error, and nothing is written to the database directory. after
starting slapd  over again i try the example files but now they give me an
operations error too.  again the database directory is empty.  now i
reinstall openldap. i ldapadd my new files and they work fine.  this leads me
to believe that openldap has other files that i need to make sure are deleted
other than the gdbm files.  i have looked around on the web and in some of
the man pages but haven't seen a mention of these files. do they exist? if so
what are they for and where are they hiding? thank you for your time and any
assistance you can provide

jeb
winders@math.sc.edu