Subschema (sub-)entries and referrals

Hi,

I am new to this list and hope that it the appropriate forum for my
question.

If I want to know the location of the schema controlling an entry in the
DIT, I query its subschema sub-entry. For my openldap server (version
2.0.x) I get "subschemaSubentry:cn=Subschema" as a result for all
entries. This is just fine --- as long as all entries are located on
the same server.

If, however, the entry is located on a different server (and the
referral is chased automatically), the client might query the wrong
server for schema information.

My question is: what do you think is "best practice" for a client
implementation in this situation? Of course, in an ideal world all
servers would use the same schema...

Apart from ignoring the subject, I can think of two solutions to this
problem. The first is to disable automatic chasing of referrals and
parse the returned result (which might by quite server-dependend,
right?). The second is to use the manage DSA IT control and climb down
the DIT, looking for referrals. The third is to apply some heuristic to
the dn of the entry (if, e.g., there are additional dc=xyz components,
try to find an ldap server using DNS). Ok, I can think of three
solutions...

BTW: Google found the following (expired?) draft which would answer my
question if parts of it were implemented:
http://www.openldap.org/lists/ietf-else/200107/msg00000.html

Thank you,

Hans

--