Extending the schema

I have a few questions about extending the schema in OpenLDAP.

Can the schema be extended by my application?  I am currently using JNDI with Sun's LDAP provider to connect to LDAP directories and extend the schema.  The RootDSE in OpenLDAP appears to be missing the subschemaSubentry attribute so, I am guessing that I cannot do it from my application.

Does OpenLDAP provide an attribute syntax that is similar to Novell's Typed Name syntax (2.16.840.1.113719. or Microsoft's DN with Binary syntax (1.2.840.113556.1.4.903)?  Basically, I need a syntax that stores a DN and an integer.  I noticed that OpenLDAP supports a "Name and Optional UID" syntax.  Would this handle what I am looking for?

Since the RootDSE is missing the subschemaSubentry attribute, where is the schema stored and how can I look at it (with an LDAP browser, for example)?  My application also needs to be able to query the schema (via LDAP) to determine the syntax of various attributes, etc.