RE: HUP kills slapd

Not really. If you think about all of the de-initialization and
re-initialization that has to occur to handle rereading the configuration,
it amounts to the same thing as stopping and restarting the entire server.
In particular, any active connections would need to be closed anyway,
because (a) their backends might not be defined in the new config, (b) their
ACLs may change in such a way that the session should not be permitted to
exist, (c) the listener addresses may be undefined so the connection should
not exist, (d) any database config changes would require closing and
reopening the database files, etc...

  -- Howard Chu