Re: ldapsearch limit of 500 returned entries

<see below>

On Tue, 04 Jun 2002 16:32:05 -0400
charlie derr <cderr@simons-rock.edu> wrote:

> Sending this back towards the list (hope you don't mind, Fox), because i
> did
> track down another clue -- using the slapcat command (instead of
> ldapsearch)
> as root did return the full number of entries ( > 500 )in the directory
> without
> an error.  Perhaps this is what the man page means -- i would still like
> have this functionality for ldapsearch as well.  I guess it's time to
> delve
> into the source and see if i can find a place to set it and try
> recompiling.
>
> One other point of information -- before i added the
>
> SIZELIMIT	0
>
> to the three ldap.conf files (as i mentioned in the other message), none
> of these
> files previously had that variable set (it was commented out).  Just to
> be totally
> thorough (I was pretty certain it wouldn't work, but...) I set
>
> SIZELIMIT	1000
>
> just now and restarted, but i still get only 500 entries returned and
> the same
> error.
>
> 	~c
>
> Fox wrote:
> >
> > Not posting this to the list, but I imagine that contrary to what the
> > man page says, the root user cannot override the server limit on
> > entries returned.  I can't imagine root being able to magically
> > override the server limit, especially considering ldapsearch is
> > supposed to be a generic ldap client for any, including remote, ldap
> > servers.
> >
> > Fox

Maybe some tips:

1) is the timelimit set? This one also causes a "size limit exceeded" error.
2) is the ldapsearch you try based on a indexed attribute? If not, you can bump into the timelimit restriction as well, and still get the "size limit exceeded" error.
3) do you try searching as the rootdn user (not root, but the rootdn entry configured in your slapd.conf file)? This one is not subject to sizelimit or timelimit restrictions.
4) you have to add "sizelimit 0" to slapd.conf, not to any other ldap.conf file.

Franky