ldapsearch limit of 500 returned entries

I've looked in my ldap.conf and also in my slapd.conf, but i'm not
finding where this is set.  The following from the ldapsearch manpage:

      -z sizelimit
retrieve at most sizelimit entries for a search.  A
sizelimit  of  0  (zero) removes the ldap.conf limit.
A server may impose a maximal sizelimit which
only the root user may override.

seems to indicate that i should be able to override, but
even when i use "-z 0" as root user on the machine that the
database lives on and bind as cn=admin, my output is 500 entries
followed by:

# search result
search: 2
result: 4 Size limit exceeded

# numResponses: 501
# numEntries: 500

	Do i have to recompile my slapd to get past this?  Or is there a
setting in a conf (or other) file somewhere that i can modify to
eliminate this error? 2.0.23

		thanx so much in advance,
			~c